Sunday, July 17, 2016

Paint challenge and the start of my Orcs and Goblins

Inspired by one of the Warhammer podcasts I regularly follow, I decided to embark on the 100% paint challenge. As the name implies, it is an effort to paint 100% of one's model collection. Insanity, I hear you say! Well, whether it was a through foolishness or a frustration with the sheer number of unpainted minis I own, I cannot tell. Surely it was through some combination of both.




The first step in this challenge was to take tally of the percentage of unpainted miniatures I owned. The results are tabulated below. I was pleasantly surprised to see that 52% of all the miniatures I owned were painted. Not too shabby, but a far cry from the goal of 100%!
Well, the results are self-evident. Dragging down the numbers are my Chaos Warriors and Orcs and Goblins. With not a single model painted for my Orcs and Goblins, this is target priority #1. This army is a tribute to the Orcs and Goblins of 5th edition. It is an all-metal army composed primarily of forest and night goblins, with some savage orcs in there for good measure. I have been amassing them for quite a while. One of my main draws to Warhammer Fantasy was the massed battles aspect of it. I remember spending hours staring at the rear covers of White Dwarf, you know, back in the day when they had pictures of 2 painted armies facing each other, ready for battle. In fact, one of my first White Dwarfs featured a rear cover with High Elves lined up against Orcs and Goblins, ready to defend one of their sacred towers. I always wanted to recreate a scene such as this.

Anyway, enough meandering. Here are my meager offerings for the start of this army. The bases are not painted, since they will be multi-based for possible use in Kings of War. The multi-bases will be forest themed, with lush undergrowth and lots of red mushrooms, Oldhammer style! 



2 comments:

  1. Nice start on a worthy goal. Perhaps I should take stock of my painted vs. Unpainted stuff. The one thing I've stuck to is only bringing painted figures for Old Hammer events. Play with the army you have, not the one you wish you had. Also, Warhammer podcasts? Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pointhammered is the only one I still listen to. It used to be exclusively WHFB-related, but with the advent of AoS, it has become a little more general. Presented by 2 long-time hobbyists based in Wisconsin. It is most amusing to listen to while I paint. I used to listen to more podcasts, but dont follow them any more

    ReplyDelete