Freebooterz for Orktober

Although I am pretty monogamous with Warhammer Fantasy,  this was not always so. Like many confused teenagers, in my pre-fantasy days I collected and played 40k Chaos Space Marines. I joined a gaming club in my early teens in which the older kids convinced me of the errors of my ways, and before long I was back to my first love, Warhammer Fantasy. I guess you can say that teenage peer pressure manifests in very different ways in the nerd community!

Nevertheless, I have always had a soft spot for the greenskins of the future. There is something appealing about their adventurous nature, heedless of their own well-being. Much like my foray into Warhammer fantasy, some of my first 40k figures were Orks. I have lurked in the shadows of Orktober for the last year or two, part of me regretting the fact that I did not partake in the festivities and part of me afraid of the potential repercussions of picking up "an ork or two." As we know, there is an obsessive collector in every wargamer, and one or two orks have the potential to grow into one or two hundred, if we sense a "good deal" on eBay

Kaptin Krunch, so named since he savors the sounds made
as he effortlessly crushes objects in his Power Fizt    



This year, however, the temptation was too great. When I first heard mention of Orktober over at The Emporium of Rogue Dreams Facebook group, I knew I was in. They were having a friendly competition for best Ork vehicle, best character etc. It just so happened that I picked up a few Ork freebooterz a few months before (yep, it was a "good deal"). They were already assembled and primed, ready for paint.

And here they are in their painted glory. Not my best work, and they took me longer than anticipated, but they are done. I will probably be taking them to Oldhammer "weekend in the Jerz," coming up in a couple of weeks here in the US, to see some action.



This bastard must have fallen apart at least a half dozen times as I was painting him.
Happens every time I think I can get away without pinning a metal model. Live and learn (or not0



Who doesn't like a good family photo? And most of them are smiling, too!

Comments

  1. Great work! Love those old Ork Dreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, they embody the ork persona, don't they? Brute, clumsy and completely unpredictable

      Delete

Post a Comment