Watch those pincers

Those who follow my blog may know that I am doing a small Slaanesh warband on the side. So far, my painted collection consists of chaos champions and thugs which can be seen here.

However, about a year ago I had the fortune of picking up 10 of the first edition daemonettes of slaanesh. I don't know what it is about these models, but they are by far the best iteration of daemonettes in my opinion. Their claws are perfectly proportioned, their bodies are lithe but their faces are freaky scary.

It was not long before I decided that I needed some first edition fiends of slaanesh (aka hunting beasts of slaanesh) to provide some fast support. They stand assembled and primed in my "to do" cabinet as we speak, and will probably get painted within the next few weeks.


In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these daemonettes. I started with some airbrush work to establish some very basic skin tones, guided by Roman Lappat's excellent daemonette tutorial from a  few years ago.  Unfortunately, thanks to photobucket crapping out, the tutorial pictures are not visible. The base skin color is 50% menoth white highlight (my substitute for Vallejo Ivory) + 30% elf flesh and 20% catachan green. Skin shading was done with thin glazes of the base tones darkened with deep sea blue.  


It was an interesting and new way of painting for me. I learned to pain using predominantly layering techniques, but these daemonettes were painted the opposite way namely starting off with very light colors and progressively glazing down until I got a satisfactory shading. I'm also using more and more of the loaded brush technique in my painting and, while it takes some practice, I have found it to be a great and very fast tool for highlighting


The sword of the leftmost daemonette in the front was painted using the loaded brush technique,
as were the lightest highlights of the daemonette claws


Nice break from the Old World Army challenge. Until next time, happy painting!

Comments

  1. Wonderful work! I'm jealous you have all of these great minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Trying to paint every mini in my collection. I know, it's insanity

      Delete
  2. You really knocked these out of the park Anthony. Great looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. Currently painting a few matching fiends to keep them
      company

      Delete

Post a Comment