Tomb Kings army re-based

This is something of a slow-burn project I've been working on. I painted the bulk of this army about 6-7 years ago but I've never been happy with the old basing scheme. The thought of re-basing an entire army was kind of daunting, so I foolishly persisted with the old basing scheme.

I decided to take the re-basing plunge a few weeks ago. Why? Well, I don't buy much from Games Workshop any more, but when I saw the new Katakros model from the Ossiarch not-Tomb-Kings army, I just knew that I had to paint him up to join the army. He would fit in perfectly. I glossed over the rest of the new range, since I didn't really fancy anything else. Not to mention, the model scale is completely off nowadays.

I started by ripping all of the models off the old bases and started over. The foundation of the new bases is Vallejo Desert Sand, a gel-like material with fine granular particles. Many of the bases are embellished with pieces of temple ruin I made with Sculpey firm grey clay and rollers purchased from Greenstuff world. There are also many skulls taken from the Citadel plastic skull kits.

Settra the Imperishable
With the re-basing came the need for new pictures of all the models, so here is some eye-candy for you all to enjoy. I don't remember where I bought this photo backdrop from, but it seemed perfect for these models.

Tomb Guard


These models are not my favorite paint job, although they were painted several years ago. Lots of drybrushing, and a lot of the colors are quite flat and lack volume. As annoying as my OCD is, it did allow me to appreciate that I have improved my painting in the past few years. And I'm telling myself that I will go back and fix some of the oranges and greens to add more depth.

Tomb Prince

Prince Apophas, scarab-man himself. I need to go back and re-read his fluff


Necropolis Knights. I didn't fancy the riders on the serpents, so they are on the ground as
snake-charmers rather than snake-surfers

Here you can see some of the home-made temple ruin made with clay and the greenstuff roller

chariots. Got 4 more in the works

Ushabti 

4th edition undead carrion riders

Hierotitan (conversion). Finally painted him up a couple of months ago. His upper torso was finally reunited
with his lower torso after several years of emotional and physical separation within my bits box 

Necrotect

Tomb Scorpions. I tried gloss varnish over these guys to make them shiny and chitin-like.
I can't decide whether I like the effect or not.

Liche priest

Warsphinx
Skeleton horse archers

Skull chuckers

Tomb prince

Casket of souls

Skeleton archers

6th edition Carrion

Tomb swarm
Yibbida yibbida that's all folks! Hope you all have a hobby-filled Christmas, and may Santa (or Father Christmas, depending on where you're from) visit you with mounds of overpriced toy soldiers

Comments

  1. Worth the effort I think they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I've rebased two armies in the last few years, it's a tedious process but the results are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it’s only a matter of time before we have to submit to the OCD gods

      Delete
  3. do you think you could post a full recipe for the basing paintscheme sometime? it looks so beautiful and i would love to shamelessly copy you XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment