Rifgit Snapjaw - Orc boss on wyvern

My Orctober tribute to Gork and Mork is this Orc boss on Wyvern who will be commandeering my Orc army. 

His name: Rifgit Snapjaw. His mount is an ancient wyvern named Cymmodus, Destroyer of Men. Rifgit gained acclaim, notoriety and respect amongst his unruly greenskin subjects by hunting down Cymmodus. You see, Cymmodus was a young dragon (merely 300 years old by his own admission) who spent his adolescence terrorizing the badlands and incinerating the local flora and fauna. This included villages inhabited by orc clans. Since birth, Rifgit was raised by the big 'un elders of the Boghat clan to be a killing machine, designed with the sole purpose of hunting and destroying Cymmodus. Rifgit grew to be a fierce orc with remarkable combat prowess. Being an orc, however, his only weakness was his dim wittedness. Like all dragons, Cymmodus on the other hand was a learned creature whose intelligence far outmatched that of the greenskin brute. Consequently, Rifgit had little hope of catching the beast, let alone subjugating him to serve as his mount. As fate would have it, however, Rifgit came across Cymmodus one day in the local forest. The dragon had feasted on the wrong kind of mushrooms and lay sprawled out across the forest awake but paralyzed. Rifgit could barely believe his luck. Surely this was a sign from Gork. Or was it Mork?

Either way, the orc offered Cymmodus the choice between a swift death, or life as his subject. Being a young dragon with many millennia of pillaging ahead of him, Cymmodus took the second option. After all, how hard would it be to turn the table on Rifgit? Cymmodus would easily outlive the daft orc at worst, or perhaps Rifgit would suffer an unfortunate fall from great height in the midst of battle...


I’ve wanted a Nick Bibby wyvern, but I refuse to sell any of my organs to be able to acquire one of these sought-after models. Furthermore, I don’t cherish the idea of constructing wing membranes for the model. Luckily, I found  this little gem of a Wyvern from Mierce Miniatures, which has a very Nick Bibby vibe to it, IMO. Since it is huge, I had to find a suitable orc to ride it, and I thought that the Orc I chose looked menacing enough.
Orc minion shown for scale alone. He knows it, as you can tell from the humiliated look on his face
I enjoyed painting these guys, and I think that the airbrush played a big part of it. It has given me the courage to tackle big models again without being disheartened at the get-go.
The wyvern was so big that I had to model a base for it. The rock is a platform made of cork that sits on a 50mm base.

Happy Orctober painting to all!

Comments

  1. Awesome proxy wyvern. Looks really good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Variety is the spice of life, as they say

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Adds a little height to my otherwise quite uniform Orc army

      Delete
  3. Looks great, and I totally thought it was a Nick Bibby sculpt until you said it wasn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mierce have some really solid sculpts that fit the Oldhammer vibe (IMO at least)

      Delete
  4. Stunning work Anthony. Somewhere in the pile I have Azhag the Slaughterer. I think he will sit in hiding awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. The old Azhag on wyvern is on my Oldhammer ‘wants’ list, but likely to stay there a while longer now that I have this guy painted up

      Delete
  5. Heh, I've acually just spottted the main title:

    "(...)With the death of Warhammer Fantasy, I decided to take a look back at my huge miniature collection and commit to painting everything I have. Insanity, you say? Let's see how it goes ...."

    Very good and accurate. I might follow that banner: it's really shame good ild WFB has been faken behind the barn and put down. It deserves proper headstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. A shame, but I will continue to play the older versions of the game. Just had a great game of 3rd ed last week. Watch this space for a write-up soon!

      Delete
  6. Looking great! (The Bibby Wyvern does come with solid wings though, membranes and all).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment