Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain

I always get a hankering to complete a mini-project around the holidays. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's my job, maybe it's having young children (or all of the above) but my hobby output during weekdays is virtually nil. Weekends (sometimes) and holidays is when I have the time to actually enjoy painting these days.

The Grom miniature is very special to me, since I used the model as the general of my all-goblin army, back in the days of 4th edition Fantasy (most of the rest of the army was, alas, unpainted). I'm referring to the actual Grom model itself, and not the chariot with all the bells and whistles. I remember painstakingly painting Grom, as a teenager, to the best of my ability. I also remember being pretty chuffed with the paint job, although I have long parted with that army so it may have been utter rubbish if I were to see it again today.

This time, I cringed at the thought of painting the chariot in non-metallic metal, although I wanted it to match the rest of my night goblin army. Insanity to paint a night goblin army in NMM? Yes, more than a bit of that. But it forced me to learn to paint NMM quickly, which I have managed to reasonably accomplish using Ben Komets' 'loaded brush' technique.

The banner is hand-painted, to the extent that you can use the term to describe coloring in between the lines of a banner print-out. Apart from the metallic bits of the models, which were done in NMM instead of TMM, I copied the box art as faithfully as possible.

I hope that you enjoy this piece, and until next time Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Comments