Back-logged Vampire Counts

Ian Miller, Spring 1987 Citadel Journal



These are a few older pictures that I forgot to post. I’ve been having a hard time staying motivated with painting, and I’ve been trying to mitigate this by switching between armies and game systems (fantasy vs 40k). 


                                             
Undead always make a good distraction, since they paint up so quick, and I have such a large painted collection of them that I go by muscle memory. There is also something quite therapeutic about painting weathered armor

First we've got an undead standard bearer. I believe that this is a Forge World model that I picked up at Adepticon many moons ago.
  

Next is 10 skeletons. I quite like the way they turned out

                                                      


Here is a strigoi vampire that came with the plastic, 8th ed Zombie Dragon kit. Had him floating around in the bits box and I thought I'd try some cool skin color transitions on him.


I shared some Lahmian vampires a few weeks ago, and they appear to have been well-received, so I’m following it up with another of the old bloodlines: Blood Dragons. I'm not too sure whether I like all of the sculpts that were released for this bloodline, but there are two that I am quite fond of: and that is the two models I painted below.

This blood-sucking fellow is slightly modified, since I misplaced his right lance arm. I found a suitable replacement in the form of a dark elf cold one rider's lance arm. With a little putty work, it fit right into the model.

My favorite part of the model is definitely the over-the-top helmet. Might be somewhat cumbersome to try fighting with that thing on.

There is something that I really like about this next model, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's quite a two-dimensional sculpt, but the model reminds me of the opening scene from the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula. I can definitely see this guy as a crusading knight before 'turning'.

Last but certainly not least is the 8th edition Krell. Such an iconic model that I had to get him, even though he was only made in finecast. I tried something different on the blade handle. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's done!





You can see more of my undead army here and here if you wish. Until next time, happy painting!
 

Comments